Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Geeks and Cushions

Over the weekend I decided that our couch needed more cushions. It only had two!

With the help of some of my friends I came up with a list of cushions I am going to possibly make. This is the list:

  • Ctrl Alt Del
  • Esc key
  • Pacman and the Ghosts
  • Tetris
  • Android robot
  • Dr Who's TARDIS
  • Linux Penguin
  • QR Codes
  • Canon Lens
Turns out that most of my friends are geeks. Which I guess is a good thing...because I am one too! This house is full of geeks and the way Ember is going, she'll be a geek soon too. So lets add to the geekiness with some geeky cushions!

First I decided to make a Pacman cushion. Easy right? Just cut a wedge out a circle, sew it up and stuff it? What could possibly go wrong?

Well...when I'd half stuffed the Pacman, it kind of resembled a giant yellow fortune cookie!

This really was not a good start...but I persevered until it was fully stuffed hoping it might look better then. But... it still looked like a fortune cookie! *Sigh* The mouth section was too long and pointy in relation to the Pacman 'body' and the mouth was definitely not wide enough.

I attempted to fix it by slip-stitching the points in on themselves to make a more 'blunt' mouth, which kind of worked to remove the fortune cookie look. Unfortunately it did not solve the 'not looking remotely like Pacman' problem.



So now I have a yellow cushion that looks like a round of cheese with a chunk taken out of it...or a very fat fortune cookie. I think I might leave that for awhile and try something different.

Next up I decided to try a QR Code cushion using felt.

A QR Code for those who don't know, is basically a type of barcode. The QR code can be used for all kinds of things, from basic text to URLS and phone numbers.

qrcode
This is a QR code for my blog URL


Smart phones [Android phones, Iphones, etc] can read these with a QR Code Reader app.

And my phone reading the QR code off the screen and showing the link to my blog


I decided to keep mine rather simple, so I started off with Ember's name. I pieced it together out of felt bits which took a fair while. It looked awesome but came across one major issue.



I couldn't get the felt QR Code to read with my phone! Mega fail. I think it was mainly to do with the shadows being cast on it from the lights. I scrapped the idea of using felt [I was rather relieved to be honest. I had no idea how I was possibly going to stitch all the pieces on without mucking it up!] and pulled out my best friend. A Sharpie!

I traced the QR Code outlines onto the white fabric and coloured them in. They turned out better than expected and they all read with a QR Code reader.
Three QR Code cushions. Codes L-R read Ember, Rachel and Paul


Close up you can see where the marker has bled, but they'll do for now. I'm thinking of getting them custom printed via Spoonflower.


No comments:

Post a Comment